1. What is your current role(s) at Sunburst Schools?
I am a K-12 PE teacher. I am also teaching Title and FCS courses. I am currently working on my FCS endorsement.
2. What previous teaching, coaching, or other extracurricular activities have you been involved with, if any, at previous schools and how many years of experience do you have?
I taught high school PE and health for a year in Washington after becoming a certified teacher. I taught three years of elementary PE in Cut Bank. This is my second year teaching in Sunburst. I have coached track and/or cross country for the past 7 years at the middle school and high school levels.
3. Give us a brief history to include where you are from, where you were born, where you graduated from high school, and where graduated from college?
I grew up in Spokane, WA. I graduated from Shadle Park High School. I went to Spokane Falls Community College and competed on their cross country and track and field teams. After that I was recruited by the University of Montana to compete as a heptathlete, hurdler and sprinter on their track and field team. I graduated with my bachelors degree in Exercise Science. After a year of working as a wellness coach I went back to school to earn my Masters in Teaching from Whitworth University in Spokane. I am currently working on earning another masters degree in Family and Consumer Sciences that will also provide me with my FCS teaching endorsement.
4. Tell us about your family, spouse, or significant other.
I am married to Ben Ehlers. We moved up here so that he could join his family in farming. We love living up here and I have enjoyed becoming part of the Sunburst community. We have two practically perfect kids - Sage (3) and Callum (1). They make life busy and wonderful!
5. Do you have any pets?
We have one dog - Maggie. She is a great farm dog, but she has a mean greeting to visitors, beware.
6. What are some of your hobbies and interests?
I love to be active, especially hike, bike and run when I can. I am close with my family and we spend as much time as we can with my family in Washington. I like long days on the farm, but I also love to get away from the farm and go visit friends and family around the Western US. One of my favorite places is Flathead Lake.
7. Are there any other interesting tidbits you want to share about yourself?
I definitely have the best job out there because I get to help students improve their fitness, health and wellness through movement and play! I am grateful to be part of such a friendly school and community.